Fleas in humans: what do they look like and how to get rid of?
Also called a house flea. Without magnification, a human flea looks like a dark moving point. Looks like that, To know more, check out: do i have fleas in my hair
- An adult insect has dimensions ranging from 0.5 to 4 millimeters.
- The color of the insect can vary from light beige to dark brown.
- Moves by jumping to a distance of up to 2 meters or even more.
- Lays eggs that look like whitish rice grains, but no more than 0.5 millimeters in size.
- Human flea larvae up to 0.6 millimeters long are covered with hairs.
- The entire life cycle can take from 3 months to 1.5 years, depending on environmental conditions and external circumstances.
- Can carry the following diseases : pulicosis, can carry plague, leprosy, typhus and rat typhus, tapeworms and other helminths.
- Bites people, dogs, cats, rodents, ungulates, birds, wild animals.
Fighting fleas is difficult because of their biological and physiological characteristics: they multiply quickly, turn from a larva into an adult in 2 weeks. The lifespan of one individual reaches two years. During this period, the female manages to lay several hundred eggs. If fleas are not detected at the initial stage of their appearance, the scale of the disaster will become catastrophic. It will take a lot of time and effort to destroy a large population. They cannot be attracted with food bait, like other insects, since fleas are only interested in blood.
Depending on the number of fleas in the apartment and the neglect of the situation, different methods of struggle will help get rid of ectoparasites. In the initial stages, you can solve the problem yourself. But if the parasites have already multiplied, then effective ways to get rid of fleas will include an integrated approach and professional help from pest control services.